2/13/08

Letter-A-Day: J

I used to subscribe to quilter Susan Favreau's philosophy. She use to say "If you ever see me wearing quilted clothes, just shoot me!" But then I saw this jacket in the movie Before Sunset and I realized that quilted clothing doesn't have to be god-awful and look like you just got out of bed and the quilt got stuck to your back. And lets not talk about the extra padding; one thing my body does not need.

When I was learning to do free-motion quilting I took a yard an a half of plain white cotton fabric and just practiced random designs. So I had a yard and a half of quilted fabric and I decided that I was going to make a jacket. Very appropriate for this day when ice was falling from the sky. I looked thru my patterns and I didn't had a jacket pattern so I went to BurdaStyle.com again and got a free pattern for a jacket. It wasn't the style that I wanted but maybe I could modify it. I was feeling adventurous! It said I needed 2 1/2 yards but I though "What do they know? Plus, I'm little..." So I went ahead and started cutting the fabric. Well, it turns out that I needed more fabric than I had and I was too lazy to quilt more so I made a lot of changes and this is what I came up with.


It was meant to be longer and with long sleeves but I didn't have enough fabric. It was easier to make than I thought. I made a lot of changes and it is a minor miracle that they worked. I think I'm getting the hang of making clothes.

1 comment:

Mary Thorsby said...

Aynex, that is super cute! Watch out, Armani! xooxomt