7/3/06

Inspiration

The number one question every artist gets is "How long did it take you to do that?" If you don't want to annoy an artist, don't ask this question. Most artists don't have an answer for this. They usually don't keep track of time and they are usually working on five different things at a time. Not to mention the time you spent waiting at the doctors office designing in your head or the times you wake up in the middle of the night to draw an idea you got in a dream, and so on, and so on.

The number two question is "Where do you get your inspiration?" I wish I had an answer for this one but I don't. I wish I had a formula that whenever I don't have any idea about what I am going to do next, I could just do this and that and the light bulb will go off. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I don't know how it works.

Lately I have been getting inspiration from photos I come across. Rob is a member of the Audubon Society and they send him a magazine every once in a while. The cover of this month's issue had this picture:


That picture inspired this quilt. It is not finished yet it doesn't have any quilting.


A friend of mine is taking a trip in Europe. She sent me some pictures of her trip. Among the pictures was this one:


That picture inspired this quilt:


This quilt is finished. It is only 8" x 11". If you know who is this person in the picture, don't tell her because I am going to give it to her as a surprise. And if you really want to know, it took me 6 hours to make.

No comments: