12/18/07

All in a day of non-work...

Mondays are my only day off. I work a part-time job six days a week. It is a very easy job and it is a block from my house so I love it but it is in the middle of the day so it cuts my day in half and I don't get a lot of things done. That's my excuse anyway. I am always hard on myself for not making more art and not working harder on my artist's career so this day off I made myself work on art and only art. I have two deadlines coming up in January that I really want to enter and I have to finish the work, take pictures and fill out the applications.

When quilters have projects they never finished, they call them UFOs (un finished object). I don't like that term. There is always the connotation that it is never going to be finished. When quilters gather and somebody shows a UFO that they actually finished, they show it with extra pride. When a quilter dies, there is always many half-finished quilt tops hidden in trunks and drawers. I hate having unfinished things. If I think about it, I probably have three of what they would call UFOs. I have all intentions of finishing them. I call them WIPs (works in progress). Yesterday I spent the day working on one of them. It's quilt that I started probably a year and a half ago and just needed quilting.

I spent some minimal amount of time checking email and doing my obligatory morning chat with GG. Then I unglued myself from the computer. There were some messes in the house that I forced myself not to pick up. Some dirty dishes that I told myself not to clean. An almost-finished website that I promised not to work on today. And I just worked on my art the entire day and it felt great! I haven't done that in so long that I cannot even remember. Probably when I originally was working on this quilt. I didn't even changed my pajamas. The only reason I stopped was because a friend had invited me to dinner the day before. So at 5:30 pm, I changed off my pajamas and went to dinner. It was a wonderful day of non-work...

No comments: