8/15/07

Blogs and Google Reader


A few of my neighbors have succumbed to the pressure of Mary Thorsby and started blogs in the past few weeks. Mary is a blogging addict and wants everyone to share the pleasures of blogging with her. In the past there were only three bloggers in our neighborhood: Suzanne at Bizziville, Mary with iListPaducah and me. The new comers are Michael with trial proof, Bill with Reflections on a Life in Medicine and Art, Charlotte with AqueousArtist, and Teresa with World’s Longest River Mural. So every morning I wake up and do a quick scan to see if there is anything new in the blogs and it was a little time consuming and usually a waste of time because the blogs are not updated very often. I understand. I’m guilty of that too. I thought that there must be an easier way and I discovered Google Reader. I knew that RSS Readers existed but I never had a use for one but now I do. I love it and I wanted to let everyone know about it.

So what is Google Reader, you ask? Google Reader is a magical web page that links to all the blogs that you are interested in and tells you when a new post has been added. It works on some other websites too like if you want to read the latest news, for example. Basically, if you see tis symbol, it will work with Google Reader.


I have it set up as my home page so every time I open my browser, it comes up and I can see if there is a new post that I haven’t read. If you want to set one up, go to google.com. On the top of the page, there are links that say Web, Images, Video… Click on the arrow at the end and a menu will pop down. Click on Reader and follow the instructions. Since Nikki and I seem to (unwillingly) be Lowertown’s IT Department, I know I’m going to be asked to help someone set them up. Well, the only thing I have to say is that if you are willing to house a cat for a week or pay another high price, don’t even ask.

1 comment:

Mary Thorsby said...

Hi, I'm Mary, and I'm a blogging addict. No doubt about it! I usually add new items to ilistpaducah.blogspot.com every day, so keep checking it out! Thanks for the plug!